Invite friends
I want  answers   advisors   relevant links   my network

How it works
Register!          Forgot password?

All Tests and Exams Advice
Unanswered Queries
FileAgent Document Exchange
Council Members
Advisor Rankings
Top Rated Advisors
NameAsk Me Rate (in AA$)
jyothi adiraj N/A
Kranthi Kumar $10.00   
La'Shonda Henderson N/A
Prabhakara Rao Kuppi N/A
cindy garner N/A
Amit Agarwal N/A, Ltd N/A
C. Raj, United Kingd $1,000.00   
Lata Verma $10.00   
Mitali G N/A
More Advisors...

Home > Categories > Education and Career > Tests and Exams > View Advice  

Query from: varun, Delhi, India, 01/11/09
Topic: TESTS AND EXAMS      Submitted on:
Subject: physiotherapist licensing exam in michigan

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a physiotherapist from Delhi, India. With a work experience of around 2 years in government as well as private setting.

I am interested in getting a license in the state of Michigan as I heard they accept Bachelors & aren't stringent on a masters degree.

Can you please throw more light on these. Also please advise about other states' requirement as well.

Thanking you in anticipation.


Varun India


Rate = 3.5 (Rated by 6 Council Members)
[ This query closed ]
Response from: pradeep laxshman,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
hi varun exam from michigan consists of 6 step and it is given below and lic for 5yrs. Step 1 – Review of Credentials The Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (The Alliance) must review your credentials to determine whether your education and experience is substantially equivalent to (that is, evaluated to be equal to) that of Canadian educated physiotherapists. Please contact The Alliance to obtain an application form and a list of necessary documents for the review of your credentials. Their address is listed at the end of this document.

If The Alliance finds that your credentials are substantially equivalent to a Canadian educated physiotherapist you will be eligible to register for Part 1: Written Component of the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE).

The Alliance uses the following three criteria to determine if your education and experience is substantially equivalent:

* Degree in physiotherapy from an accredited Canadian university or education that The Alliance determines as substantially equivalent * Eligibility to work as a physiotherapist in the country where educated. This must be verified with a certificate of registration, licensure or similar documentation. * Proof of language proficiency in English or French.

Language Assessment

You must show that you can understand, speak and write either English or French. If the language of your physiotherapy education was English or French you are exempt from language assessment. If you did not complete your physiotherapy education in English or French, you must write one of the following tests to prove your language fluency in English or French. You may be able to write these tests in your country before you come to Canada, but your test scores are valid for only two years. The test scores must be sent directly by the testing institution to The Alliance.

The Alliance will accept any one the following tests as proof of language proficiency:

* A total score of at least 585 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with at least 50 on each of the three components, plus a score of at least 45 on the Test of Spoken Language (TSE)


* A total score of at least 80 on the internet-based TOEFL with scores of at least 20 on the listening component, 19 on the writing component, 20 on the reading component and 19 on the speaking component


* A total score on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of at least 85, plus an oral interview rating of at least 3


* An average score on the CanTEST of at least 4, with no component lower than 4, plus an oral interview of at least 4.5


* A score of at least 7 on the International Language Testing System (IELTS)


* A total score of 800 on the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)


* Applicants, who want to demonstrate language proficiency in French, can write the French version of the CanTEST or another test that is recognized by The Alliance. Please contact The Alliance if you are fluent in French.

For more information on these language tests contact the appropriate organizations. Each address is provided at the end of this document. Prior Learning Assessment and Remediation

If The Alliance determines that your education is not substantially equivalent to the education of a Canadian educated physiotherapist but is sufficiently close, you may be eligible for the Prior Learning Assessment and Remediation (PLAR) program.

Prior learning assessment gives you credit for education and experience that you obtained outside of academic physiotherapy education that is relevant to physiotherapy. Remediation is a program that offers courses to upgrade your physiotherapy education.

For further information on the PLAR program, please contact The Alliance. Step 2 - Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE), Part One: Written Component (Qualifying Exam)

The PCE consists of two parts. Part One is a written qualifying exam. You must successfully complete the qualifying exam before advancing to Part Two. Part Two is a clinical exam known as the Clinical Component (CC).

Part One: Written Component is offered several times a year. When you register to complete the written exam, The Alliance will send you an Orientation Resource package with information about the exam.

The exam is a written multiple-choice examination that tests your knowledge of physiotherapy. It includes questions on basic sciences, physical therapy theory, research, assessment, planning and treatment. The exam takes 4 hours to complete.

The exam is held at numerous sites across the country.

If you do not pass Part One: Written Component, you may repeat it two times within two years of the failed examination. Candidates who fail the written component three or four times are not eligible to re-write the exam unless they take further training, which must be approved by the Director of Examinations of The Alliance. Step 3 – Register for the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) Part Two: Clinical Component

You must successfully complete Part One: Written Component before you can register for Part Two: Clinical Component. Although candidates must successfully complete the Written Component before advancing to the Clinical Component, candidates are encouraged to pre-register for the Clinical Component prior to the deadline dates indicated in the Candidate Handbook. Exam site assignments are based on the date the completed application is received. Positions are allocated on a first applied, first assigned basis. Candidates will not be automatically registered for the Clinical Component, nor will the deadline date for the Clinical Component be extended following the release of the results.

To register for Part Two: Clinical Component you must complete the appropriate application form and send it, with the required fee, to The Alliance.

The Clinical Component is offered twice a year. The location of the exam depends on how many candidates need to write it, and where they live. It is usually offered in Halifax, Ottawa (bilingual site) Toronto, Hamilton, Edmonton and Vancouver. Not all sites are available at each administration of the exam. Step 4 – Provisional Practice

Once you have registered to take Part Two: Clinical Component, you may apply to the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario (the College) for a Provisional Practice Certificate. Please contact the College for an application form.

In addition to the documents required for all categories of registration, you must provide the following when you apply for a Provisional Practice Certificate:

* A completed application form * A form sent by The Alliance confirming registration in the next available Clinical Component * A signed monitoring agreement from a holder of an Independent Practice Certificate agreeing to provide the necessary monitoring throughout the duration of the provisional practice period….

Rate = 3.5 (Rated by 3 Council Members)

Response from: Magic ..,   
Featured Member on
Basically there are simple but time taking steps.

1- Credential Evaluation of your education in physical therapy (for each stat it differs, so better to start with those who has minimum requirement like NY or michigan)

2- When you get your credential report, and if there is no deficiency then you should apply with health board of that state, and they will send a letter to FSBPT (central authority to conduct and regulate physiotherapy exams).

3- when health borad of your respective state sends your eligibility of test, than you should apply for Approval for Test from FSBPT.

4- Once you got a letter from FSBPT, than you have to call the prometric test centres and book for test within 2 months.

5- Go to USA. appear in exam and if you pass then you will be licensed to work.

6- After that you can start looking for employer and proceed with visa work.

Rate = 3.5 (Rated by 2 Council Members)

Thank this advisor   
More Tests and Exams Advice


Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Ask Agent™ Tech Support/Help
Contact Us
Advertising Program
About the Ask Agent™ technology
Affiliate Program
Celebrity Queries
Latest Updates

Get the latest queries and responses via  Add Ammas Gadget to your iGoogle
Important Disclaimer: This question and answer system is open to the public. The opinions expressed are those of their individual authors, as attributed beside each item of advice. Neither the authors nor the information they provide are endorsed by this website. We recommend using common sense, making your own inquiries, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material generated on this site.

Copyright © 1998 - 2017
Powered by Ask Agent
Patents filed since 2001 -- Request Patent Numbers