Invite friends
I want  answers   advisors   relevant links   my network

How it works
Register!          Forgot password?

All Immigration Advice
Unanswered Queries
FileAgent Document Exchange
Council Members
Advisor Rankings
Top Rated Advisors
NameAsk Me Rate (in AA$)
jyothi adiraj N/A
Sencan Topaloglu N/A
desti mona N/A
Prabhakara Rao Kuppi N/A
cindy garner N/A
Amit Agarwal N/A, Ltd N/A
C. Raj, United Kingd $1,000.00   
Lata Verma $10.00   
Mitali G N/A
More Advisors...

Home > Categories > Family and Relations > Immigration > View Advice  

Query from: Vihar, U.A,E, 12/06/09
Topic: IMMIGRATION      Submitted on: Ask Agent
Subject: Dubai visa requirements

what is the minimum salary requirement,if somebody wants to sponser his wife or parents in Dubai (UAE) ?

Rate = 2.5 (Rated by 5 Council Members)
[ This query closed ]
Response from: kiran mande,   
Registered Member on
Residence Visa for dubai :

For individuals planning to live in the United Arab Emirates, you have to obtain a residence visa, which is also reffered to as an employment visa. A residence visa will be issued by the Immigration department of the emirate you will be staying in and provided to you by your sponsor (the company or person you are working for). If you have entered the country on a visit visa, you can transfer to a residence visa by either re-enter the country or else make the transfer at the Immigration department.

If you are coming to the UAE with family members, you should obtain a family visa, which will allow you to sponsor your parents, spouse, daughters, and sons under the age of 18. Family visas are only possible if you earn more than Dhs. 4,000 (US$ 1,100) a month.

Residence visas are normally issued for 3-years and in order for it to be processed, you will need to take a medical test and obtain a health card. Individuals who test positive for AIDS will not be permitted to obtain a residence visa. A health card costs around Dhs. 300 (US$ 82) and should be renewed yearly. It can be issued at the Ministry of Health or else at a recognized private hospital.

see also the link:…

Rate = 3 (Rated by 2 Council Members)

Response from: sambasivan s,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
01 July 2009 update: Minimum salary requirement for residence visa sponsorship of family members will be AED 10,000 per month after amendment to UAE residency laws (unknown when), and sponsor must have own (not shared) accommodation, according to Gulf News report of comments from Major General Nasser Al Awadi Al Menhali, director general of the Federal Naturalisation and Residency Department (NRD or FNRD).

This information applies to other first degree family members also - but bring birth certificates for children. To sponsor step-children, you'll need permission from the biological or legal father / guardian. Sponsoring mother, father, sister, brother is not guaranteed, it's at the discretion of the immigration department, you'll need AED 5000 deposit for each parent or sibling, and residence visa is limited to one year at a time.

Married couples can sponsor each other for a residence visa in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, and the rest of the UAE. Note that the sponsorship is only for a residence visa which is not the same as an employment visa / work permit / labour card. If the spouse is working, then s/he is supposed to get a work permit from the employer. It is not uncommon for spouses to work (usually part-time) without a labour card but be aware that s/he will not have any rights should there be a dispute between the employee and the employer, and there is potential for problems (fines, labour ban, deportation) if found out. There are some restrictions when applying to sponsor your wife or husband.

Husband can sponsor their wife whether she is employed or not, and no matter what his occupation is (except in Sharjah which have funny restrictions on which occupations are permitted to sponsor their families). The sponsor must have a salary of at least AED 4,000 per month, or AED 3,000 if the company provides accommodation. This may have increased to AED 5,000 or 6,000 per month without accommodation and AED 4,000 with accommodation in 2009 (check with the immigration department). There was a proposal by the Federal National Council (FNC) in December 2008 that the minimum salary should be increased to AED 8,000 and AED 10,000 per month. Update: according to press reports 01 July 2009, this change to minimum AED 10,000 per month will be implemented (unknown when), but possible exceptions for humanitarian cases could be made (ask at immigration department). Wives can only sponsor their husbands if she is in a restricted list of professions for example teacher, doctor, engineer or equivalent. She must have a minimum salary of AED 5000. Dubai rules might be more flexible on occupation if the wife is earning more than AED 10,000 (check with the DNRD). People in de-facto relationships cannot sponsor their partners - a marriage certificate is required. It probably wouldn't be advisable to even try since it is illegal for unmarried couples to live together in Dubai. Muslim expatriates with more than one wife can only sponsor one of them for a residence visa (Gulf News 28 October 2007). Wives under the age of 25 might need special permission from the Director General of the immigration department (not confirmed). There may be some flexibility in how these rules are applied, depending on which emirate you're in, what nationality you are or what country your passport comes from, how much you earn, your profession, the time of day, and how much wasta you have. Women who don't fit the criteria above could apply at the relevant immigration department for special dispensation to sponsor their husbands. Alternatively, trade up to a newer model husband who already has a job and a sponsor.

Sponsoring children for residence visas in Dubai and UAE

Daughters who are unmarried can be sponsored by a parent. Married daughters can be sponsored by their employer, educational institute if studying, or husband. Age limit for sponsorship of unmarried daughters is unknown or there isn't one. Check with the immigration department in the emirate which will issue the visa. Up to age 25 should be no problem at least. Sons up to the age of 16 can be sponsored by a parent, or up to 18 if they are a full-time student. If males are over 18 and want to study full-time in the UAE then check that the education institute can sponsor them for a student's residence visa. Parents of step-children will need permission from the biological father or guardian for sponsorship. If that is not possible, check with the immigration department what documents are needed. Documents required for spouse and family residence permit

Application form - from typist at DNRD or relevant UAE visa processing department. 2 photographs of spouse (but bring a couple of extra photos). Original entry permit of spouse (e.g. visit visa, tourist visa) Original passports of sponsor, spouse and other family members being sponsored. Original valid medical certificate Copy of the sponsor's employment contract or salary certificate Copy of the sponsor's valid residence permit Copy of sponsor's e-gate card in Dubai (unconfirmed if this is necessary) Residence contract in name of sponsor or close relative if applying at Sharjah Naturalisation & Residency Department (SNRD), attested by the Sharjah Municipality (Gulf News 11 August 2008). This apparently does not apply to professional workers on higher salaries. Health insurance for spouse (might not be required, or required in Abu Dhabi only). Document list based on information on DNRD website. A marriage certificate (or birth certificate for children) is not specified but bring one anyway. It will need to be attested in home country or country of marriage (relevant marriage court or authority > UAE embassy in country of marriage). Bring originals of all documents also, even if only a copy is specified. Expect to to make two trips to the visa processing office - the first to find out what additional documents you need to bring.

Procedure to arrange husband / wife visa

Spouse should go to medical clinic to do blood test and x-ray. Spouse and sponsor go to immigration department typing center with all documents - pay fees and get application form filled in. Typing center will direct you to the next counter. Fees are AED 300 for a 3 year residence permit (AED 100 per year) + 10 dhs processing fee + 120 dhs if urgent processing required.

If your spouse overstays his/her entry permit before processing the residence visa, there will be fines of 25 dhs per day imposed (or more if that has changed).

If you have a choice, it's usually better for you to get a residence visa sponsored by your spouse in preference to your employer. Some employers may not like that but try anyway. Advantages are:

You are not, or less likely to be, subject to the automatic UAE labour ban if you resign (you might be if you break the labour law) source:…

Rate = 3 (Rated by 1 Council Member)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Helen M,   
Registered Member on
I believe it is 4000 dirhams

Rate = 2 (Rated by 1 Council Member)

More Immigration Advice


Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Ask Agent™ Tech Support/Help
Contact Us
Advertising Program
About the Ask Agent™ technology
Affiliate Program
Celebrity Queries
Latest Updates

Get the latest queries and responses via  Add Ammas Gadget to your iGoogle
Important Disclaimer: This question and answer system is open to the public. The opinions expressed are those of their individual authors, as attributed beside each item of advice. Neither the authors nor the information they provide are endorsed by this website. We recommend using common sense, making your own inquiries, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material generated on this site.

Copyright © 1998 - 2017
Powered by Ask Agent
Patents filed since 2001 -- Request Patent Numbers