In the treatment of non-specific vaginitis
Council Member on
This information comes from my own knowledge.
Non-specific vaginitis is caused by a variety of pathogens including staphylococci, streptococci, pneumococci and E. coli. It may also be induced by a variety of causes including chemicals, drugs, surgical procedures, trauma and foreign bodies. L. sporogenes* administration to increase the vaginal acidity by the action of the lactic acid (produced by Lactobacillus) on glycogen in the vaginal epithelial tissues was adopted in a clinical trial on 44 patients26. The patients were divided into two groups:
Group 1: Twelve patients suffering from leucorrhea (white discharge) following cervical surgery.
Group 2 : Thirty two patients with nonspecific vaginitis without previous therapy. Of these, 26 were in the reproductive age and 6 were menopausal. The change in vaginal pH following treatment with MYCONIPÒ (L. sporogenes* tablets) over a period of two weeks is shown in the Figure 5.2:
Most of the cases showing persistently alkaline pH were post-menopausal, where acid could not be produced in sufficient amounts due to low substrate glycogen levels. Glycogen levels depend upon circulating estrogen.
The response to treatment in both groups is tabulated below: Type of response
Number of cases Group 1 Group 2 Total 1. Quick response and complete relief 8 (67%) 26 (81.25%) 34 (77.25%) 2. Delayed response but complete relief 2 (16.5%) 4 (12.5%) 6 (13.60%) 3. Improvement but not complete relief 2 (15.5%) 2 (6.25%) 2 (9.15%) 4. No relief 0 0 0 Total 12 (100%) 32 (100%) 44 (100%)
In comparison with a clinical trial using M.T.P. vaginal pessaries containing broxyquinoline and brobenzoxeldine where only 26.67% of cases studied were cured. It can be seen that L. sporogenes* therapy is the better alternative in the treatment of non-specific vaginitis. L. sporogenes* therapy provided complete relief to 91% of the patients and partial relief to the remaining 9%.
(Rated by 7 Council Members)