They are called " RAJMA" the red kidney bean.. in telugu also it is called RAJMA here are the recipes -
RAJMA CURRY :
* 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water * 2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil * 1 tsp cumin seeds * 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine * 2"piece of ginger jullinned * 6 cloves of garlic minced * 2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes * 2 fresh green chillies chopped fine * 2 tsps coriander powder * 1 tsp cumin powder * 1 tsp garam masala * 1/4 tsp turmeric powder * Salt to taste * A pinch of asafetida * Chopped coriander to garnish
* Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft. * Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. * Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala. * Add the red kidney beans, 4 cups of warm water, asafetida, salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (aproximately 10 minutes). * Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy). * Garnish with corainder and serve piping hot with plain boiled rice and Kachumbar salad and a pickle of your choice.
***************************** RAJMA MASALA
* 2 1/2 cups uncooked kidney beans * 1 medium onion, peeled,quartered and * 2 medium onions, peeled,finely chopped * 1/2 inch ginger, peeled,chopped * 1 tablespoon coriander seed * 1 green chili pepper * 4 red chili peppers * 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed * 1/4 inch turmeric or 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder * 10 black peppercorns or black pepper, to taste * 2 cinnamon sticks or 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon * 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter * 1 teaspoon dried mango powder * 2 teaspoons salt * 3 cups water
1.Wash the kidney beans well and soak in water overnight. 2. Next morning, steam them until tender; or cook in a large pot of water for about an hour or until tender. 3.Remove 1/2 cup of cooked beans, crush coarsely and keep aside. 4.Grind 1 onion, ginger, coriander seeds, chili peppers, cumin, turmeric, peppercorns, and cinnamon to a very fine paste. 5.Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. 6.Add the chopped onions and saute until golden brown. 7.Add the ground paste and saute, sprinkling water occasionally, until the ghee starts separating from the paste. 8.Add the cooked beans (not the crushed beans), stir for a while and add salt and dried mango powder. 9.Pour 3 cups of water and add the crushed beans. 10.Mix well and bring to a boil, twice. 11.Serve hot over steamed rice, chappatis, or whole-wheat tortillas.
Ingrediants 1/4 kg red kidney beans(soaked) 2 large onions 6 garlic clovettes 1" piece ginger 1/2 tsp black peppercorns 1 stick cinnamon 4 cloves 4 dried red chillies 8-10 green chillies (the small green variety) 1 tsp cumin seeds 2 tomatoes, chopped 1 tsp lime juice, freshly squeezed 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped 1 bay leaf, cut into 2-3 large pieces 2 tbsp ghee or cooking oil
Process Wash rajma and cook in the pressure cooker and set aside. Blend together 1 onion, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, chillies, cloves, cumin and cinammon. Set aside. Mince the remaining onion. Heat the oil and add the bay leaf and minced onion and fry on high heat. When the onion turns light brown, add the blended masala and continue to fry on high heat till (12-15 mins)oil starts leaving the side of the masala. Now remove from heat, add the tomatoes, cooked beans and salt to taste. Add 1 cup of ( as needed)water and Bring it to a boil.Add lime juice,mix well. Turn off the heat.Garnish with the coriander leaves. Serve when hot with any chapathi or steamed rice
You can make, Dal Makhni by mixing Rajma and whole Black Urad. This recipe is from
http://www.whereincity.com/recipes/… Dal Makhani By : Aman ( Posted on :24 Feb, 2007 ) Total Views : 4126 | Previous | Next Ingredients 100gms Black Urad Dal 25gms Rajmah Rice 1tbs Red Chilli Powder 1tbs Oil 50gms Butter 1tsp Cumin Seeds 1cup Chopped Onion 1tbs Chopped Ginger 1tbs Chopped Garlic 1/2cup Chopped Tomatoes 1tsp Garam Masala 1/2cup Fresh cream (malai) Salt to taste
Directions 1. Wash and soak black urad dal and rajmah rice overnight in 5 cups of water. 2. Cook the soaked dal and rajmah in 5 cups of water with salt and red chili powder. In a thick bottom pan heat oil and butter. Season cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and saut? until golden brown. When it is done, add chopped ginger, garlic and tomatoes. Saut? till tomatoes are well mashed and oil separates. Add boiled dal and rajmah rice and mix well. 3. Add garam masala powder to the dal makhani and simmer for 15 minutes. Add fresh cream and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot with naan or paratha.
Try these two recipes and let me know if you like them. All the best
Rohini - It's called rajma. Below is one of the most popular dish in India using kidney beans.
2 cups Rajma ( Red kidney beans) Salt To taste 1 Pinch Turmeric powder 1 Onions, chopped 5 Garlic cloves, chopped 1 inch Ginger, chopped 3 Green chillies, chopped 3 Tomatoes, chopped 1/2 tsp Corainder powder 1 tsp Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp Garam masala 2 tbsp Oil Handful Corainder leaves
* Soak rajma overnight. Wash and pressure cook the rajma. Keep aside. * Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and chillies. Fry until they turn brown. * Add onions and tomatoes. Cook until masala separates from oil. * Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well. * Add the boiled rajma, red chilli powder, corainder powder, garam masala and stir. * Simmer the flame and cook until a thick gravy is formed. * Remove from fire. Garnish rajma with corainder leaves and serve hot with chapatis or rice.
Rajma - 1 cup, Onion - 1, Tomato - 1, Green chilli - 1, Garlic 4, Ginger an inch, Red chilli powder - 1 tsp., Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp., Coriander powder - 1tsp., Garam masala Powder - 1 tsp., Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp., Salt to taste, Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Soak rajma in water overnight. 2. Pressure cook rajma until tender. 3. Cut onion, tomato and green chilli. Grind it in mixie along with ginger and garlic and make paste. 4. Heat oil in a pan. Add the paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown (The oil starts separating from the mixture). 5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes. 6. Add water enough to make thick gravy. Bring the gravy to boil.
7. Add cooked rajma (along with the water in which it was cooked). Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve hot.
1/2 cup red kidney beans(rajma),1/2 cup whole masoor, 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes,1/2 cup chopped onion,1/2 tea spoon chili powder,1/2 tea spoon garam masala,1/2 tea spoon finely chopped ginger,1/2 tea spoon finely chopped garlic,1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds,1 cup milk,Butter,Salt
Soak kidney beans and masoor overnight (masoor need not be soaked for so long, but soaking makes them cook more faster). Cook them together in pressure cooker till they are soft. Heat butter in a pan and add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic. Add chopped onion and fry till they are translucent. Now add tomatoes, salt and fry till oil separates.
Pour the cooked beans, chili powder and garam masala, mash with a ladle and cook for about 4-5mins. Now add milk and cook till the gravy becomes thick. Serve hot with parathas/rotis.
Please see this link for Recipe of Kidney Bean Soup
1 Cup red kidney beans (rajma), 4 tomatoes chopped, ½ tsp chilli powder, 2 tbsp oil, 2 onion chopped, 3 cloves garlic,1 tsp lemon juice,salt to taste
Wash the beans and soak in water overnight. Next day drain thoroughly. Heat oil, add onions and fry for 1 min. Add tomatoes, garlic, chilli powder and salt and fry again for 1 min. Add the beans and 6 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker. Blend in a blender. Do not strain. Add the lemon juice and serve hot.
Long Grained Basmati Rice - 2 cups , Salt - 1 tbsp , Black Peppercorns - 4 , Green cardamom - 2 , Cinnamon - one 2 inch stick , Cloves - 2 , Onion - 1, large, sliced thin , Oil - 6 tbsp , Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp , Mustard seeds - 1 tsp , Cashewnuts - 2 tbsp , Green chillies - 2, sliced lengthwise , Dried Red Chillies - 1, Shredded/Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp, Canned Red Kidney Beans - 1 Can
Make a bouquet garni (tie together in cheesecloth black peppercorns, green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.)
Boil five cups of water in a heavy bottomed bowl on stovetop and add the salt and the prepared bouquet garni to it. Once the water is boiling nicely, squeeze and remove the bouquet garni and add the rice and set the gas temp to 8 level. After 3-4 minutes, take some grains of rice in a spoon from the boiling water and test them if they are soft enough. Once they are just soft, drain the water and adjust the gas level and put the bowl of rice onto the stovetop and cover well. Remove the bowl from heat after 2-3 minutes once the steam has nicely formed. Meanwhile open and put the red kidney beans in a colander and wash them well in a water bath, taking care that you do not break the beans into pieces. Pour 2 tbsp ghee/butter/oil into a pan and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, cashewnuts and green chillies and dried red chillies. Let them splutter up a bit. Then add the red kidney beans. Give it a careful stir and add this to the prepared rice.Mix it well with the rice
Pour 4 tbsp of butter/oil/ghee in a heavy bottom pan and fry the onions till brown and crisp. Remove in a paper towel and garnish the rice with the fried onion and serve hot.
This dish is extremely popular not just in North India but elsewhere as well. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice, Kachumbar salad and your favorite pickle. Ingredients: 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water 2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil 1 tsp cumin seeds 2 medium-sized onions chopped fine 2"piece of ginger jullinned 6 cloves of garlic minced 2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes 2 fresh green chillies chopped fine 2 tsps coriander powder 1 tsp cumin powder 1 tsp garam masala 1/4 tsp turmeric powder Salt to taste A pinch of asafetida Chopped coriander to garnish Preparation: Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala. Add the red kidney beans, 4 cups of warm water, asafetida, salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (aproximately 10 minutes). Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy). Garnish with corainder and serve piping hot with plain boiled rice and Kachumbar salad and a pickle of your choice.
Get the latest queries and responses via Important Disclaimer: This question and answer system is open to the public. The opinions expressed are those
of their individual authors, as attributed beside each item of advice. Neither the authors nor the information they
provide are endorsed by this website. We recommend using common sense, making your own inquiries, and, if necessary,
seeking professional advice before relying on material generated on this site.