Marriage questions and answers

Invite friends
I want  answers   advisors   relevant links   my network

How it works
Register!          Forgot password?

All Marriage Advice
Unanswered Queries
FileAgent Document Exchange
Council Members
Advisor Rankings
Domestic Violence
Top Rated Advisors
NameAsk Me Rate (in AA$)
Lavender . N/A
sambasivan s $400.00   
Diane Gorman N/A
Mahasukh Vaghela N/A
V. N. Rao N/A
Shikha D $2.00   
Calaen Burton $1.00   
princess g N/A
More Advisors...

Home > Categories > Family and Relations > Marriage > Marriage > View Advice  

Query from: Anonymous, India, 08/08/08
Topic: MARRIAGE      Submitted on:
Subject: Need Time, day & location details for application of marriage Certificate

Hi ,have married in the year 2005 in mumbai,applying for Marriage Certificate ,do i need to go to Bandra High court?, & can i apply on saturdays?

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2.5 (10 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)
[ This query closed ]
Response from: Haritha ,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
Hi, you need to register your marriage to get the marriage certificate. You can register at a Registrar/Sub-Registrar office.

Here are the address of sub-registrar offices in Mumbai:

a) Sub Registrar's Office (Bombay) Old Custom House, Shahid Bhagat Singh Marg, Ground Floor, Fort, Mumbai 400 023.

b) Sub Registrar's Office (Bandra), Andheri & Borivaii Taluka, MHADA Building, Ground Floor, Kalanagar, Bandra (E), Mumbai 400 051.

c) Sub Registrar's Office (Chembur) Kurla Taluka, R.C.V. Marg, Near Rationing Office, Administrative Buildings, Ground Floor, Chembur, Mumbai 400 071

Hope this info is useful. GL

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 4 (1 rating)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: praveen kannal,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
hleo friend, You havnt mentioned that your marriage was one arranged or registerd marriage at court. In both the cases to get the certificate is different.

There are two procedures to register marriage in India. The first is to marry first as per the vidhi of any religion and then arrange for the marriage registration. The second way is to register your marriage first in the court, which is called registered marriage. It is not necessary to give any prior notice to the court in case you select the first method of registration. You have to submit the application in the prescribed forms that are available in all marriage registrar offices, situated in all the cities. It is required to get this form signed by the priest who has performed the marriage along with the signatures of the bride and the bridegroom. Some of the marriage photographs and the printed invitation cards for the marriage are required to be attached certifying that the marriage has actually taken place. The minimum age of the boy should be 21 years and the age of the girl should be 18 years in India for a legal marriage. Once this application form duly signed by all is submitted, the marriage certificate shall be issued to you within the period of around 2 days. Make sure to issue at least 6 to 8 certified copies of marriage certificate as it would be necessary to submit such certificate at various places like banks, insurance companies, and consulates for visa issuance purpose. Though, such certificate is generally issued in the regional language, insist to get such certificate in English as the certificate in English shall be considered valid at the international level for foreign travel purposes. Some nominal fees of around Rs.20 (50 cents) per copy are charged by the marriage registrar office for issuing the marriage certificate. This procedure is quite simple and you can easily get your marriage certificate within a short period of around 2/3 days of your marriage without any major hassle.

The second procedure of actually doing the marriage in the court is quite complicated and needs the help of a lawyer. In this case, you are required to submit your willingness to marry in writing at least one month in advance along with the birth certificates of both boy and a girl, the proof of the address for both, 2 passport size photographs of each, and couple of well known witnesses from both the sides. Moreover, both the boy and the girl must have stayed in that local area for at least last one month. The court will then put the names of the boy and a girl who want to marry on the court notice board for the period of one month. If anybody has any objections to this marriage, they can register their objections in writing with the specific reasons to the court. In that case, if the court feels that the reasons are valid, such marriages are not registered. If no objection is registered within a period of one month, the boy and the girl can go to the court on the thirty first day with their witnesses and do the marriage registration in front of the marriage registrar by signing in the record register. The marriage certificate shall be issued thereafter. As you can see, this second procedure of marriage registration is slightly complicated, time consuming, and may need some legal help. This procedure is generally selected in case the parents of the boy or a girl are not in agreement of the marriage.

Some precautions are required in issuing the marriage certificate. Both the names of the boy and the girl must be exactly spelled same as per passport. As otherwise, it will create legal complications at a later date at the time of issuing the visa for traveling abroad. The marriage date, place, and the time also must be specified very clearly and should be the same in all the documents.

Marriage certificate is an important document and everybody must get such certificate issued at the time of marriage only so as to avoid complications and the legal hurdles in issuing the same after around 5 to 7 years of marriage.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 3 (6 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: krishnamurthy salem ramachandran,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
You please approach the local registrar's office in your area(ie., where you are residing)with your wife and the following documents: 1.Photo of you and your wife taken seperately 2.marriage invitation 3.address proof for you (ration card or voter identity card) 4.address proof for your wife (ration card / voter identity card) 5.Age proof for both you and yor wife 6.two persons for witness (one from your side and another from your wife's side)


plese note that these operations are to be made in government office, only on working days monday to friday you can go to the office.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2.5 (6 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Response from: Gowri Raman,   
Registered Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
Hi, You must go to the office of the Registrar of Marriages, Bandra, where all marriages in Mumbai are registered

In order to get a marriage certificate, it is necessary for a couple to be present at the registrar's office with originals and photo-copies of documents showing proof of birth and residence and their wedding card. In case they don't have their wedding card, they must give a 'joint declaration.' Three witnesses are also required to be present, and they need to provide proof of residence.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2 (5 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Geetha Gopakumar,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
No need to approach High Court. Application for Marriage is to be submitted the Sub-Registrar or the special offers appointed by the State Govt. There are so many sub-registrars in a District on sub revenue district/Taluk/Tehsil wise. You have to approach the sub registrar’s officer in which the jurisdictional area your marriage happened.

In Mumabi i think the Licenced Agencies for this purpose appointed by the M.S. Govt. for this purpose. These Agencies are :

(1) Parikh Consultancy Crystal Plaza Shop #22 Mira Road Mumbai-401107

(2) Shabab Auto Consultant Ramar Wadi, Sion Mahim Link Road Dharavi Mumbai-400017

(3) Power Sports NULL Dadar East Mumbai-400014 You can approach these agencies for this purpose.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2 (5 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Lakshmiprabha R,   
Registered Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
Hi, You need to take your marriage invitation, ration card for any one of you and the birth proof (marksheets of 10th standard) for both of you and you can go to any nearby marriage registrar office (near to the one whose address proof is been taken).. They might give you a form to fill it up. Along with you, you need to take 2 people as proof. No need to go high court and all.. I think on saturdays, they dont give marriage certificate. Thanks!!

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2 (6 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Response from: RAMA VIJAYAKUMAR,   
Registered Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
It is not Bandra High Court. It is only Bandra Court situated near Kalanagar. From Bandra Station it only about 5 minutes walk. You better go Monday-Friday after 11am.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 1.5 (6 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Response from: surjit singh,   
Council Member on NDTV
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
You are required to apply to the Registrar of Marriages for the requisite marriage certificate and accordinly you have to approach the competant authority.The High Court has nothing to do with your matter.Further,please check up if the office of the Registrar remains open on saturday and it is not a public holiday in the state where you are applying.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 1.5 (5 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
More Marriage Advice


Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Ask Agent™ Tech Support/Help
Contact Us
Advertising Program
About the Ask Agent™ technology
Affiliate Program
Celebrity Queries
Latest Updates

Get the latest queries and responses via  Add Ammas Gadget to your iGoogle
Important Disclaimer: This question and answer system is open to the public. The opinions expressed are those of their individual authors, as attributed beside each item of advice. Neither the authors nor the information they provide are endorsed by this website. We recommend using common sense, making your own inquiries, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material generated on this site.

Copyright © 1998 - 2017
Powered by Ask Agent
Patents filed since 2001 -- Request Patent Numbers