Marriage questions and answers

Invite friends
I want  answers   advisors   relevant links   my network

How it works
Register!          Forgot password?

All Marriage Advice
Unanswered Queries
FileAgent Document Exchange
Council Members
Advisor Rankings
Domestic Violence
Top Rated Advisors
NameAsk Me Rate (in AA$)
jyothi adiraj N/A
Renuka Rajendra Babu N/A
Sencan Topaloglu N/A
desti mona N/A
Amy Cohn N/A
Kranthi Kumar $10.00   
Dhoom Ayya N/A
Preetha N N/A
La'Shonda Henderson N/A
Cyrene Palar N/A
More Advisors...

Home > Categories > Family and Relations > Marriage > Marriage > View Advice  

Query from: anil kumar, Singapore, 03/08/08
Topic: MARRIAGE      Submitted on: Ask Agent
Subject: what are the requirements for register marriage in bangalore

Hello, My name is ani.. I am working in singapore. I am not a Permanent REsident of Singapore. I am holding Employment Pass. My native is visakhapatnam. I am loving a girl in bangalore. Her native is Kerala. She is studying from past 5 years in bangalore. I am planning to marry her on this coming June'08. Our parents will not agree for our marriage. We both are hindus but different locations. My company sactioned only 35 days leave. So i need to complete my marriage in 35 days duly registered. So anyone please advise me how to get into it. Thanks and Best Regards Anil

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 3 (10 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)
[ This query closed ]
Response from: Geetha Gopakumar,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
You both are Indian citizens. Hence there is no legal problems to get married. Since your girls is a native of Kerala she may have with her the proof of nativity either in Kerala or in Bangalore since she has been studying in Bangalore. Since both are not interested in this marriage the only way is to get court marriage, it can be done in Visakhapatanam itself if you have with the domicile/nativity proof.

As per Indian Laws governing marriages. Solemnization is being done in both – normal marriage and also in court marriage. In a Court Marriage as we generally call it as Register Marriage solemnization is being done by the conducting officer where we submit notice and furnishing the documentary proofs and forms stipulated for a court marriage. Hindus can opt for a civil marriage, often incorrectly referred to as a "court marriage," under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Provisions in the Act govern civil marriages and require no religious ritual or ceremony of any kind. The necessary requirement is that the persons intending to marry inform the marriage officer of the district in which at least one of them lives. The marriage officer then posts the information on a public notice board and keeps it up for 30 days. During those 30 days, any person can object to the marriage on grounds such as the intended bride is under age or that she is too closely related to the bridegroom or that she has been married before. If no valid objections are received, the couple signs a declaration in the marriage office in the presence of three witnesses. The marriage officer then issues a certificate of marriage to the couple as proof of the marriage. The Special Marriage Act, in S.21-A clearly states that if a special or civil marriage takes place between two persons both of whom are Hindus, Buddhist, Sikh or Jain, such persons continue to be governed by other aspects of Hindu personal law, such as the law relating to succession.

The parties should be competent in regards to their age. The age prescribed for the bridegroom is twenty-one (21) years and bride is also twenty-one (21) years at the time of registration of their marriage. The parties should be competent in regards to their mental capacity. Neither party is an idiot or a lunatic at the time of registration.* The parties should not fall within the degree of prohibited relationship.* The parties have been residing within the district of the Registrar of Marriage for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which the application is made to him for registration of the marriage. For registration of marriage performed under other forms, following legal aspects may also kindly be noted: * The parties have to file application for the registration of their marriage in the specified form to the Marriage Registrar * After the expiration of thirty days from the date on which application for the registration of marriage has been published, the marriage may be registered and marriage certificate issued by the Marriage Officer.

Documents required - proof of age(School certificate, Passport) , proof of residence(Passport, ration card, voters id card, PAN card, rent agreement) , the application of such a marriage should be witnessed by 3 independent adult persons, affix one photograph of each of the parties & all the 3 witnesses. One of you (you or your girl) can submit such an application/notice to the marriage officer in person along with all the 3 witnesses. On receiving such an application the marriage officer issues a month notice regarding the intended marriage & get such a notice affixed on the notice board out side his office, a copy of such notice is sent to the marriage officer under whose jurisdiction the other party lives, also a copy is to the individual parties address. After expiry of the period of notice a date is fixed on which all the persons parties to the marriage & 3 witnesses appear again before the marriage officer who declare them married & issue a certificate to this regard. Register marriages (Court marriages) it is easy to get registration certificate - after conducting/solemnization of the marriage – this certificate will be issued by the authority I think you can complete all these formalities within 35 days if you can do it processing from the 1st day of your leave starts. If you finds problems to process it out – you can seek the help of a good marriage beuro or consultancy who can find ways and means to do all these well in time, on commission/fees against their work and help.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 3 (9 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: NEERAJA NAVEEN,   
Registered Member on Ask Agent
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
You have to apply one month before the date of your marriage in the court. You need 2 witnesses for u'r marraige .

first and most important thing is u will have to register in the court (one month in advance) which must be from the place where u or either ur girlfriend is born.i.e. If u r born in Bombay u cannot get married in a court in Delhi. U will need two witnesses, one from u'r gf. other one from ur side .Hope ur girlfriend can manage this in bangalore .

If u belong to lower caste,govt. will even give u people basic things required in life. eg. cooking utensils,stove,etc and some cash.

Your marriage won't be legal unless you get it registered.

This is a common procedure, which has to be followed by everyone. Find out how you can get a marriage certificate both before and after the ceremony.

Why Register

It is a rule that all the marriages have to be registered whether you are having a wedding ceremony or not.

If a marriage is not registered it is not considered valid during legal procedures such as, applying for a joint home loan . You could also be fined for not registering your marriage.

A marriage certificate is an important proof, in case there are some problems between you and your spouse in the future and a legal action needs to be taken.

Filling the Form:

You will need to pick up the form for registering your marriage from a family court. There two separate forms for couples who are married and couples who are not married. The form requires you to fill personal details for you and your partner including:

Name Religion Profession Permanent address Names of parents / Guardians Date of Birth Proof to be Submitted

Along with the form you will need to submit the proof of permanent address for both bride and groom. The groom should be residing at the address for a minimum of six months.

You will need to carry your age proof such as your birth certificate will be great. The minimum age for getting married is 21yrs for the groom and 18yrs for the bride.

Submitting the Form:

After filling the form you need to submit it at the office of the marriage registrar. You will be given a date, which will be 30 days from the date of submission to be present before the registrar.


A witness for your marriage is very important as that adds to the proof that you have legally tied the knot. You need to have three witnesses, who need to be present the family court at the given date along with their identity proof.

Court Marriage:

If you are using the first procedure and getting a registered marriage that will be considered as a court marriage.

You can exchange garlands or rings before the registrar if you wish.

Getting the Marriage Certificate:

If you are not married, you will receive the certificate a week after you have registered in front of the marriage registrar. You will have to pay a fee, which is between Rs. 750 to Rs.1000. But, if you are already married you will receive the certificate in at least an hour on the same day of the wedding. The fee for your will be bet will be between Rs. 500- Rs. 800.

Not in the City:

If you are getting married in a different city, you will need to come back to the city in which you currently reside and register your marriage there.

You can register in a different city only if you have your parents are living there . If you are having a agrand wedding abroad, you will have to return to your country to get your marriage registered

see also the link :…

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2.5 (9 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Suresh Chandra Gupta,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
A marriage in India is required to be registered in most of the cases. The state governments have or are planning to make the registration of marriage compulsory in all the cases. A marriage certificate is also required in most cases for visa purposes.

Under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, certain provisions exist for the registration of the marriages, but it had been left to the discretion of the families of the bride and bridegroom to either solemnize the marriage before a registrar or register it after the ceremony in traditional way. The non-registration of a marriage does not invalidate it under the Hindu Marriage Act.

You can marry under Special Marriage Act,1954, where a prior notice of one month is required before actual marriage.

You can also marry under Arya Marriage Validation Act XIX of 1937 whwre marriage is solemnized according to Vedic rites. In these weddings, the pooja is not performed to any specific deity because the Samaj doesn’t believe in idol worship. Fire and the other elements are the only witnesses to the ceremony.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2.5 (9 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Rajmi Arun,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
If both of you are major and if any one person is living in the place of marriage for more than 3 years( I think I am right in this regard), then by submitting the address proof and personal proof at the registrar office you could register your marriage. But you need to go to the registrar office and apply for it 40 days in advance. Both of you should be submitted your ID proof and residential proof. Also you should have 3 person to attest you both.

If possible get a few more days from your company.

But also she is just completing her studies and you both have time. So just try to convince your parents both of yours and then get an arranged marriage done in an year or two.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2.5 (10 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Response from: ramarao velury,   
Council Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
Hi! If she and her parents agree and she is a major, there is no problem of marrying. Please convince your parents. Or use your relatives who are close to your parents to convince them. They may be worried that a girl from a different background may not look after them in their old age. please first allay their fears on this ground. Do register marriage only after all fail. Good Luck

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 2 (9 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Thank this advisor   
Response from: Shreya G,   
Registered Member on
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
You can apply for court marriage. The application will be kept for one month and then the marriage can take place. This one months time is given to govern if anyone has objection with the marriage.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 1.5 (9 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

Response from: rekha harishankar,   
Registered Member on NDTV
Source: This information comes from my own knowledge.
go ahead ,just if you have any friends in bangalore they can go to the register office and get the details because there will be some formalities ,so you may need to fix a date one month after that.all the best,in mean time try to convince parents if possible so that you dont regret later.

Top experts' rating:   Rate = 1.5 (8 ratings)
(click on stars to rate)

More Marriage Advice


Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions
Ask Agent™ Tech Support/Help
Contact Us
Advertising Program
About the Ask Agent™ technology
Affiliate Program
Celebrity Queries
Latest Updates

Get the latest queries and responses via  Add Ammas Gadget to your iGoogle
Important Disclaimer: This question and answer system is open to the public. The opinions expressed are those of their individual authors, as attributed beside each item of advice. Neither the authors nor the information they provide are endorsed by this website. We recommend using common sense, making your own inquiries, and, if necessary, seeking professional advice before relying on material generated on this site.

Copyright © 1998 - 2017
Powered by Ask Agent
Patents filed since 2001 -- Request Patent Numbers