Vegetable Saagu (Mixed vegetable gravy)
Vegetable saagu is an easy, nutritious and tasty dish that is popular is Karnataka, a state in the Southern part of India. This dish is normally served with Chapathi or poori and sometimes served with set dosa or plain dosa.
Preparation time ([days] hrs:min): 00:20
Cooking time ([days] hrs:min): 00:20
No. of servings: 4
List of ingredients:
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (green beans, carrots and peas)
- 1 in number potato (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 2 in number tomatoes (chopped into cubes)
- 1 tbsp cilantro or coriander leaves (chopped fine)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- For the dry masala powder:
- 5 in number dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp dhania or coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi or fenugreek seeds (optional)
- For the seasoning:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp curry leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
Method: Roast all the ingredients for dry masala powder in a pan with 1 tsp oil. Cool and grind to a fine powder in a mixer or blender. Combine all the vegetables and chopped potatoes in a saucepan. Add 2 cups water and boil until tender. If you have a microwave you can boil the vegtables for 15 minutes on high. Then add chopped tomato and salt to the boiling vegetables and boil for 5 more minutes until the tomatoes are pulpy. Then add the dry masala powder and boil for 5 more minutes. To season, in a pan heat 1 tsp oil, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. After the mustard seeds splutter, add the garlic and onions and saute until light brown. Add this to the vegetable saagu. Garnish with chopped cilantro (or coriander leaves) and serve hot with poori or chapathi.
To add a thicker, richer texture, add 1 tbsp of ground fresh cocunut to the saagu in the end.