Poha Upma, also called Aval Upma in Tamil or Atukula Upma in Telegu is an easy simple dish that is usually made for breakfast. It is a staple breakfast item in Maharashtra and Northern Karnataka. It is easy to make and is normally served with Sev sprinkled on top.
Preparation time ([days] hrs:min): 00:20
Cooking time ([days] hrs:min): 00:15
No. of servings: 3
Poha Upma (Upma made from beaten rice (Aval or Atukulu))
List of ingredients:
- 2 cups poha (beaten rice)
- 1 in number potato (boiled and peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 1/2 cup onion - chopped fine
- 2 in number green chillies - chopped fine
- 2 in number dry red chillies - broken into pieces
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- For Seasoning:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 1 tsp curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- For Garnishing:
- 1 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves
Method: Step 1: Wash the poha and soak in 1/2 cup of water for about 5 to 7 minutes. Step 2: In a pan heat the oil. Add all the seasoning ingredients and fry for 3 minutes. Then add the chopped onions, green chillies and red chillies and saute until golden brown. Step 3: Then add the boiled potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix. LAstly, add the soaked poha and mix well. Kep on low heat for about 5 minutes. Step 4: Serve hot garnished with Cilantro.
Poha upma may be served with Sev sprinkled on top.