The Ultimate Answer System     I want  answers  advisors  relevant links  my network    Get your own free page | Next user's page  

-- Happy Momma

Recent Cars Advice

Q: Dear Amma, I came to USA in December 2001,I have a redional Driving license , issued by the motor vehical dept. India and also have an International Driving Permit issued by Govt of Motor vehicles India.I was told that till I get Driving license after passing the written and road test in USA, I can use the IDP for a span of one year.If that is the case, then will my IDP expire in USA in Dec 2002?Is there any way i can renew it?But in the IDP it is clearly mentioned that it is valid for a period of three yrs from Dec 2001.Now , u can understand my confusion?Can you please give me proper information, I live in Stamford, CT.Please help me in getting the proper information.I am also earnestly trying to learn driving here and pass the exam so that i can get the Driving license soon from US Authorities. Appreciate your help. Thanking you in anticipation. Radha.
-- Radha , United States 11/11/02

Source: n/a


There is no need to be so worried!

Since you have an IDPL, it means that you’ve been driving around here. This means you can do your driving test here, pass and be eligible to drive here.

It's not difficult for you to do the written exam and the driving exam and pass the test all within the time period that your IDP expires. Go to the license office and get the learning material today. Start preparing, and give the written test by the end of this week or the next. Take a week or so to practice parallel parking etc, and go and give your test. That's it. Once you pass it, you'll be given a temporary license, which you can use till they send you your actual drivers license. After that you wont have to worry for atleast a few more years.

Anyway, as far as I know, an IDP is valid for 1 year only. If yours says it’s valid for 3 years, then it probably is. If you have a problem, you can always say that that is what is written on your IDP. But to be on the safer side, try to get a US drivers license. You can renew your license, but this is a big procedure. You will need to send your license to India – and get it renewed. This will take forever.. It’s best for you to apply for a drivers license here. Best of luck.

Thank you for visiting